White Rock Baptist Church records, 1880s-1980s.
Creator: White Rock Baptist Church records, 1880s-1980s.
Collection number: 4926
View finding aid.
Abstract: The White Rock Baptist Church was founded in Durham, N.C., in 1866. This collection is comprised of materials, 1880s-1980s, documenting the history of the White Rock Baptist Church and the religious life of its members, who are mostly African Americans. Included are business and financial records; bulletins; obituaries; publications; photographs; newspaper clippings; community service announcements; and items pertaining to the officers, operation, and maintenance of the Church.
Repository: Southern Historical Collection
Collection Highlights: The correspondence in Series 1 contains numerous letters from pastors, members, and individuals in the community discussing events happening in the church and the surrounding community (Folders 1-50). A number of community organizations are reflected in these records including the Boy Scouts (Folder 42) and Church Women in Action (Folder 43). Series 4 also contains weekly bulletins for the church as well as other programs and events. Folder 503 highlights materials related to the Wilmington 10 trial.
Materials from this collection have been digitized and are available online. Click here to link to the finding aid for this collection and to access the digitized content.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Browse by Category
- Ramona D. Whitaker Garner on Lewis Family Papers, 1910s-2007
- Ellen Ruth Proctor- Chapman on Arnold and Screven family papers, 1762-1903 (bulk 1818-1900).
- Michelle Boudreaux-Matthewd on Henry Alderson Ellison papers, 1848-1882.
- Elizabeth Thompson on Jane Abernethy Plyler papers, 1979-1980.
- Ron McFarland on Singleton family papers, 1759-1905 (bulk 1815-1854).