The minutes of the November meeting were approved as amended.
Treasurer's Report: Anita reported that there is currently $211.85 in the checking account, $75.92 in the savings account, and approximately 3465.69 in the money market account. There are 97 registered members. Treasurer's Report is appended to the Secretary's copy of the minutes.
Newsletter Editor: Lynn asked for clarification on who each of the issues of the Newsletter should be sent. The first issues should go to all librarians on campus and all SILS students. The second and third issues should go to all librarians on campus, and the fourth and remaining issues of the year should go to members only. Lynn reported that she plans to have the web page up for the conference. The next Newsletter will be put on the web page. It was suggested that members be given the option of either receiving the Newsletter electronically or in paper. Lynn feels there are three viable options for distributing the Newsletter: paper, e-mail, and the web page.
Professional Development Committee: Hsi-Chu was not present. The Committee has arranged for two speakers for the Research Forum. It was clarified that members of the Professional Development Committee and the Executive Board had volunteered to prepare food for the next Research Forum as a means of saving money this year. It was not the intent that all future events to be catered strictly by members. The Fall Social is usually scheduled soon after the new committee is appointed which would be a real burden to ask the Committee to cater this event on such short notice.
Professional Welfare Committee: Libby reported this will be the last Employee Forum that she will report on since her term is ending. Tommy Nixon and Mona Couts will represent us. There are several hot issues at this time, such as the land use plan, the housekeepers grievances, and embarrassment to the University regarding problem e-mail messages. She stressed that the we need to insure that information from the Employee Forum and the Faculty Counsel is disseminated to this organization. She showed concern that no librarians were actively involved with the Salary Task force. The Committee will prepare a response to the Salary Survey when it is released.
Program Committee: Frieda reported that the Nov. 8 program was well attended and well received. Dr. Hewitt will post the comments and suggests made. On December 14 the three developments officers for the University Libraries will speak, and Eric Lease Morgan will make a presentation in January. Chancellor Hooker still has not committed to a date in April. The Program Committee decided in their first meeting not to serve refreshments at the programs, but there will be refreshments served for the Hooker program. Frieda asked for clarification if only members should be encouraged to attend programs. Everyone agreed that anyone, regardless whether they are a member, should be encouraged to attend programs. It was mentioned that we should put more effort into getting non-members to attend programs.
Committee Budgets: Peggy reported the conference committee is submitting a conservative budget for the conference this year that has a low estimate of income, and a good estimate on expenditures, if not a little high estimate. The Board approved an increase in the late fee from $10 to $15. They also approved an increase for members from $30. to $35., and an increase of $35. to $45. for non-members. The student rate stayed the same at $20.
Anita will prepare a budget summary sheet for the past three years for each committee.
The next meeting will be on January 9, at 10:00, in Wilson Library
Reported by: Sandra Dyer