The minutes of the April 9 Board meeting were approved as amended.
Treasurer's Report: Anita reported that as of May 13, 1996, there is $2242.27 in checking ($200 is reserved for UNC-CH SILS student scholarships to the next two LAUNC-CH Conferences.) There is $3535.77 in the money market account and $77.32 in the savings account. A total of $1955.26 in bills have been paid this year. Anita also gave a report of the conference income and expenditures for this year. Both reports are appended to the Secretary's copy of the minutes. Anita noted "MM&D 3/1/96" should be deleted from the April Treasurer's report. There are 112 members registered for the year.
Ralph Ferregamo and Carol Tobin have donated their speaker's honorarium to be used to support the attendance of UNC-CH SILS students to the LAUNC-CH Conference. Anita asked how this money should be set aside for this purpose. It was suggested that a certificate of deposit be purchased that is time to mature with the next conference. If the minimum balance for purchase of a certificate is $250, then Anita will add another $50 from the general fund to that what was donated.
Newsletter editors: Lynn and Geneva were not present. Geneva sent a written report which Brenda read to the Board. Geneva noted that the May Newsletter came out on time, but that the June issue may be a little late. Lynn has made several revisions to the home page, including a revision of the section on the Executive Board and the Committees. The minutes of the Executive Board meetings have been posted. Geneva encouraged the Board to follow up on the Bylaws revisions that would include more detail on the role of the Newsletter editors. Geneva will meet with Lynn and Lucinda to discuss how they plan to handle the Newsletter next year.
Nominating: The Nominating Committee announced the slate of officers in the Newsletter rather than presenting the names to the Board first. This was an oversight this year, and we will work hard to see that it is done properly in the future.
Professional Development: Hsi-Chu reported that the Research Forum is on May 16 and everything has been arranged. Brenda and Carol Pekar have arranged the food. They are going to make everything and then get reimbursed rather than using a caterer. Others are welcome to contribute if they would like to. There is a need for fresh cut flowers.
Professional Welfare: Libby did not have any news to report.
Program: Frieda did not have any news to report.
Brenda has done a tremendous job finding people to serve on the committees. There will also be a form for volunteering for committee work in the next Newsletter.
Next Meeting: The June business meeting will be June 11, at 2:00, in the Davis Library Conference Room.
Reported by Sandra Dyer